Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

RV Summer Trip : Starting to Plan

When speaking with people about rv52.com and our interest in a simple lifestyle, personified by the RV, Sheri and I invariably hear the phrase" :

"Of all the family vacations I remember with my parents the most, I remember the time when we took our [ camper, trailer, RV, pop camper ] as a family and visited [ Texas, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Colorado, etc ]."

When I heard this, it wasn't until it was repeated to me about the third time until the gravity of these statements became clear to me.

There is something about sharing an adventure together, where long periods of time together, solving problems (maps, hookups, cooking, setting up, etc.) create lasting memories that are remembered and cherished well into adulthood.

My children as of this writing (Feb 2010) are 12 yrs and 8 yrs old. I realize that I have just 6 or 7 more bites at that apple with my oldest.

Sheri and I are thinking that a trip that goes in a big CLOCKWISE loop from Texas to New Mexico, to Colorado, to Nebraska (visit my Mom), to near Kansas City, to the Ozarks, to the Texas Piney Woods and finally home would be a whole lot of fun for all of us. We think we can do this in about a month which is the amount of time that I would have for paid vacation. I guess we would just circle Oklahoma. No reason to avoid it, but...

This isn't exactly throwing caution to the wind as we would plan it out to about a 70% level, but we do have to be back in a month. We're thinking the month of July.

Comments? Opinions? Gotchas?

No comments: