Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

RV Interest : The home made fifth wheel

One of the neat things about youtube is that it gives you suggestions on videos that you might like based on what you have looked at before. As you can imagine, I get quite a few RV related suggestions. One that I watched today was really exceptional. Its a video of a fellow named Chad who has built his own RV. According to his web site the RV was featured in Popular Mechanics.

This is interesting to me on a couple of levels. First, I think it is a really cool project, but secondly, I've noticed that the RV's are built, more like a home building process than a manufactured product. I've always been surprised that they use many home construction techniques and materials. I'm not saying that is wrong, but given the control they could have, I am continually surprised at the use of standard plywood and other very normal building materials. The really strong side of this is that it makes it so you actually CAN remodel, paint, and repair many, many parts of an RV by going to a Home Depot.

Anyway, enjoy the video. I know I did. My hat goes off to Chad.


No comments: