Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

RV Propane Tanks, Sizes, and OpenRange RV's big change

Four Fives is better than Two Sevens - Don't understand? Read on!

One thing I REALLY, REALLY like about our OpenRange 399 BHS is that we have FOUR (4) twenty pound or 5 gallon propane gas tanks instead of the usual RV complement of two (2) seven gallon tanks.

The main reason I like the smaller BBQ style tanks is that I can get them virtually anywhere. Now I've seen complaints about people saying "I do not want some old greasy BBQ tank in my RV" and I can agree with them, but generally, most of the tanks I get have been just fine. The convenience far outweighs the possibility of a dirty tank. I think I can summarize the convenience of the BBQ tanks in one picture :

automatic self serve propane tanks at home depot
Self Serve 20 pound / 5 gallon propane tanks (home depot)
From RV Park and Campground Review videos, RV basics, and travel stories with Sheri and Marlan

So, while the rest of you are driving around looking for someone to fill your propane tanks, I simply go to Home Depot with a credit card at any time of the day and get propane from their self-serve kiosks. I can also get these at almost any store in the world (Walgreens, HEB, Randalls, etc.). The convenience factor is incredible.

The other reason I like having 4 of the 5 gallon tanks (4.7 gallon actually, but allow me to round, ok?) is that our RV carries 20 gallons of propane when full, and I refill after using 10 gallons. If you have the standard RV complement of two 7 gallon (30 pounds) then you have 14 gallons of propane and you refill your bottle after using 7 gallons. That means I'm making less refill stops. Yes, I have to haul around two smaller/lighter tanks each refill, but that is no big deal. Also, the 20 pound tanks are easier to lift.

One more note worth mentioning is that I keep two of the four tanks on all the time, not one at a time. The valve system in the RV will show the pressure in one tank, but take propane from both. I always keep two ON and two OFF so that I know when to refill. When one side goes empty, I disconnect them, then open the other side so I'm basically flipping sides all the time and never run completely out.

The OpenRange 399 BHS has 2 tanks on the drivers side and two tanks on the passenger side pictured below :

openrange rv propane bottles passenger side
RV passenger side dual 5 gallon propane bottles
From RV Park and Campground Review videos, RV basics, and travel stories with Sheri and Marlan

openrange rv propane bottles drivers side
RV drivers side dual 5 gallon propane bottles 
From RV Park and Campground Review videos, RV basics, and travel stories with Sheri and Marlan

Finally, I'll show the differences between the OpenRange 20 pound / 5 gallon bottle and the more standard for RV use 30 pound / 7 gallon bottle. These are here really for reference since I explained earlier why I like the OpenRange setup.



20 pound / 5 gallon RV propane bottle
From RV Park and Campground Review videos, RV basics, and travel stories with Sheri and Marlan

30 pound / 7 gallon RV propane bottle
From RV Park and Campground Review videos, RV basics, and travel stories with Sheri and Marlan

No comments: