Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

RV LED Light Fixture Replacement with Dimmer

Replacing the whole RV light fixture is REALLY easy - get a better fixture AND lower power consumption


Before starting, read this article on how to replace an RV light fixture so you are familiar with all the steps. I won't detail all the steps in this article again.

The LED Light Fixture I selected

The LED lights I wanted to try were from Star Lights in California. They caught my attention because of the modular design. Their modular design allows you to have a fixture with on and off only as a base model. Or if you would like, you can add a dimmer, a light activated sensor, and a motion sensor.

I wanted a dimmer since this was in the bedroom of the RV and was a reading light. Sometimes you want it bright and sometimes you want it dim.

So to order the light, I ordered the bezel, the fixture (which comes with a 10 LED "bulb"), and the dimmer. Star Lights gave me a call and said when you order function modules you have to order a computer module. I ordered it on the phone. You can see all the pieces below...

Star Light Brilliant Light Modular Light and Options
Star Light Brilliant Light Modular Light and Options
After I removed all of the packaging and REMOVED the plastic "filler" inserts (see picture below - the "filler" is on the left) I placed all the pieces in one picture. It gives you a good idea of how the light's modular pieces work together. You can see clearly where the modular pieces need to be inserted. It only requires a gentle "push" to put the modules in the slot.

>Star Light Brilliant Modular Light and Options with Fillers removed
Star Light Brilliant Modular Light and Options with Fillers removed
Next, I show the light completely assembled, except I removed the "diffuser". The diffuser is the the clear plastic piece that spreads the light in more directions so the light lights a bigger portion of the room. You can also see the dimmer switch installed in the light. On the left and right of the dimmer switch, you can see the OVAL fillers where the motion activated switch and the light activated switch would be installed.

You can also see clearly the LED light has 10 LED's (all high intensity) which is what I believe to be the minimum for replacing a 921 light bulb which is the "gold" standard for setting RV owners expectations for how bright a light should be.

Star Lights Brilliant Modular light showing LED and Dimmer
Star Lights Brilliant Modular light showing LED and Dimmer
Finally, I show the fixture installed in the reading area of the RV. It is shown side by side with another LED light fixture which I purchased from LED Trailer lights.

RV Light Fixtures : LED Trailer lights on left, Star lights on the right
RV Light Fixtures : LED Trailer lights on left, Star lights on the right

How do I like the Star Lights Modular Light Fixture called the Brilliant Series?

Overall I like the fixture. It is a little bit larger than most other light fixtures so it might not fit in the physical space occupied by the original light fixture.

I do like the dimmer switch on the fixture. I wished it had a greater range - it doesn't go dim enough for my liking. Also, the tactile feel on the device didn't feel quite right - not sure how to articulate. But overall, it is a great light and I'm reading in style now! I'm more than happy to recommend this light.

1 comment:

MikeW said...

This was really helpful instruction. With this I was able to change out my standard RV lights very easily, at least one or two lights, and I reduced the heat in one room, caused mostly by the lights a little. It made a nice difference.