Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

RV Destinations : Syracuse Nebraska German Fest

I'm not actually going to claim that Syracuse Nebraska's German Fest is a RV destination like Niagara, Disneyworld, Grand Canyon, or Yellowstone.

But I can tell you what it is to me! (I was born and raised in Nebraska). It is a nice little town, celebrating its heritage [ Nebraska was settled by the railroad companies basically sending settlers, primarily ethnically, but that was because of how the ships came into New York, out to the midwest to make little towns ]. Syracuse was created by a small group of German settlers. Nearly 200 years later, they try to retain their heritage, have a little fun, and they do it in a real family way. Maybe this isn't an immensely memorable location to visit (compared to famous places), but it truly is a piece of Americana. We had a great time, the kids had fun, and I was proud to be an American and take part in a little community making a go of it in this big brave world!

So if you are nearby, perhaps on I-80, 20 miles to the north, maybe you can stop by and spend the afternoon and meet some small town folk.

No comments: